St. Andrew 2018 Weekly Bible Reading Chart
New Testament 5 x 5 x 5 Plan
Bible Reading Plan Details…
St. Andrew United Methodist Church encourages you to have a plan for reading the Bible each year. January 01, 2018 is the year we are inviting everyone to read the New Testament with the congregation. Join us as we read the 5x5x5 plan shown below. You can download and print the plan to tuck in your bible using the link provided.
Additional plans are offered at the end of this page…..
5 minutes a day –
If you’re not currently reading the Bible, start with 5 minutes a day. This reading plan will take you through all 260 chapters of the New Testament, one chapter per day. The gospels are read throughout the year to keep the story of Jesus fresh all year.
5 days a week –
Determine a time and location to spend 5 minutes a day for 5 days a week. It is best to have a consistent time and a quiet place where you can regularly meet with the Lord.
5 ways to dig deeper –
We must pause in our reading to dig into the Bible. Below are 5 diﬀerent ways to dig deeper each day. These exercises will encourage medi- tation. We recommend trying a single idea for a week to ﬁnd what works best for you. Remember to keep a pen and paper ready to capture God’s insights.
- Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the Bible passage. Use a pen or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the text. Periodically review your markings to see what God is teaching you.
- Put it into your own words. Read the passage or verse slowly, then rewrite each phrase or sentence using your own words.
- Ask and answer some questions. Questions unlock new discoveries and meanings. Ask questions about the passage using these words: who, what, why, when, where, or how. Jot down some thoughts on how you would answer these questions.
- Capture the big idea. God’s Word communicates big ideas. Periodically ask, What’s the big idea in this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?
- Personalize the meaning. When God speaks to us through the Scriptures, we must respond. A helpful habit is personalizing the Bible through application. Ask: How could my life be diﬀerent today as I respond to what I’m reading?
© 2005 by Discipleship Journal. All Rights Reserved. The 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan materials crafted by Bill Mowry. The New Testament Bible Reading Plan developed by Mark Bogart and Peter Mayberry.
REPRINTS: Permission is granted to reprint unlimited copies of the 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan for non- commercial use. All copyright information must be retained.
Additional Bible Reading Plans…
The Word of God is alive and powerful! It is absolute truth! Filling your heart with the Word on a daily basis is vital to living the abundant Christian life. We recommend that you practice a plan for Bible reading. The following plans may help you.
- 5x5x5 Bible Reading Plan for the New Testament
- 52 Week Bible Reading Plan by Genre
- Disciple’s Journal Bible Reading Plan
- TableTalk Bible-in-a-Year Plan